My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Waiting, waiting, waiting

Justin has been here and gone already, having just about finished his list of things to do. There are a couple minor items which needed attention but he can do that even after the guests are here. The more labor intensive task of straightening and wiping the shelves in the tray base and lazy susan, is completed, already for cooking and baking. In fact, prior to his coming I did bake several dozen cookies using my dough from Papa Murphy's. One found its way into my mouth, the smallest one truthfully, because I had taken my fish oil pills and did not want to taste the fish flavor later. Just like my mom, I had to take a cookie for medicinal purposes!
*
Justin had plans to go bowling tonight with his friends even though his knee was still bothering him. It looks almost like Joanne's did when she banged hers up only she has a clotting problem. Bowling, yes. Kneeling to clean the cabinets out, painful! We sorted out the plasticware, too, while we were at it and disposed of the unmatched plastics so we will have only dishes and covers working together. At least for a while, that is! Oh, besides the chores, I gave him one of his CHRISTmas presents early because he was saying how he wished his car was cleaner for when he has his two cousins in the car....So, I gave him the car wash gift certificate I had picked up for him today when I got my car washed! His stocking stuffer, a day early!
*
Lori called this a.m. to report they were leaving Holmen just after 8:00 their time and expected to be at my house in about 20 hours. It seems, in watching the forecasts and such that they outran the nastiest of the foul weather, which was the intent. She called earlier this evening to report they would arrive about 3 or 4 a.m. if all went according to plan and I assured her I would leave my kitchen door unlocked for them to make themselves at home, in case I do not hear them come in. Their beds are all ready for them to climb into or onto once in the door and I will see them in the morning, I guess. Unless I hear them come in, that is! Justin said he will stop by in the morning then to say "hey!" to them before heading to his father's house. He will come back here for the candlelight service at my church and then sleep over for church on CHRISTmas Day. He can use 'Alayna's' bed since she will not get here until Sunday late afternoon.
*
Today Martie and I were planning to see a movie but when I called her this a.m., or she called me, we sort of begged off due to the early arrival of my family and her needing to take care of a few things yet before CHRISTmas plus she has her grandson staying with her these days. I think a two-hour plus movie not really intended for his age group might have been too long for Little Mark anyway. We will plan again for after the company is gone home. We planned to see "The Blind Side", a movie we had wanted to see for some time. Instead of movie watching, I had to go pick up my ham and sweet potatoes from Honey Baked Ham Company. As I was heading out, Twila called to see if I wanted to have lunch since she was already in that area. Sure! We met for soup and salad at the Olive Garden before I went to get my ham.
*
In the morning I found myself on the phone quite alot because of two separate prayer chain requests, making it necessary for me to call my people twice within an hour! Pastor asked me the other day to include him when I make my calls so he is "in the know" on things. When I spoke with him, he indicated all things were under control in the office, since I offered to come over to lend a hand if needed. The secretary had been out due to illness and even though I am hustling here to get ready for company, the service folders and such still need to be ready for worship. He told me his in-laws were in town and he could press them into service if needed. Great! Lynn, his wife, had successful surgery removing cancer from her breast last Friday which is why her folks are in town. Bet they are so glad to be out of WI for that nasty weather going on!
*
Once home with my purchases from HBH and Winn-Dixie, where I got David's beer and box of wine, I got busy making my cookies. At the same time, I made a kettle of chili to have on hand for tomorrow in case anyone expects to eat when here! During the day I intend to put together as much of my feast foods as possible so there is less to do on Friday. Rick called to confirm they would be coming, and Olivia is coming but is not sure about Owen yet. Olivia called to make sure I would be around Thursday between noon and three as a delivery is coming for me, from her. That rascal! She is always doing some thing like that...sweet girl! My downstairs neighbor said he could smell my cookies baking but that was likely because my oven still smelled funky from the cleaning the other night! I had my door open and the ceiling fan to move the smell around, but drove Jeff nuts with delicious aroma of cookies baking!
*
Justin had to use my printer this evening when he was here, evidently something related to my CHRISTmas present. I had to stay out of the room while he did this but did have to help him locate a decent envelope to use. Hmmm....I am curious now! Oh, I am getting so sleepy, I think out of respect for Lori and family driving through the night. Is it the honorable thing for me to go to bed now or is it more honorable for us all to be without a decent night's rest? I opt for one of us sleeping, that being me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that they made it there safe and sound. It just doesn't seem right for us not to be together on Christmas Eve but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Mom,Lynn, Dan and I went out for breakfast today and mom paid. It was her gift to all of us. It was a nice time. Then I came home and started to wrap presents. I still have a couple more to do but I took a break.Took mom's car to get gas for her and went to Shopko to get pantyhose. I still need to take out the garbage before it gets dark. enjoy your time with Lori and family and have a blessed and Merry CHRISTmas! Love, Jll

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
Enjoy the time with your family!
A very Blessed Christmas to you and yours.

It's pouring rain here, thankful it's not the snow and ice we had been promised.

Hope it holds so the Grandkids get here tomorrow.

Christmas Joy,
DeeDee

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill!

They did make it safe and sound, the Lord provided once more. But they sure looked like they drove all night! Showers and naps refreshed them.

When I called Mom and Lynn to let them know they were here, Lynn returned my call from Perkins.

Two years ago I was not there for CHRISTmas either as I had a houseful of company coming right after the holiday. It seems odd to not be up there either, and odd to be involved my church's activities at this time of the year. Next year, I will be "home" for the holidays, so it feels right all the way around!

Garbage to go out here, too!

Merry CHRISTmas! Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Dear Dee Dee:

We had heard, following the weather somewhat closely these days, that Chicago had flood watches instead of snow storms!

Lori was glad they had outrun the storm but that sort of messed up plans made with the WI family regarding sending presents down with them. My niece is coming by plane on Sunday so she might be weighed down with extra stuff!

Have a great time, too, with your kids and grands, and have a boat standing by in case it does flood!

Hugs,

Kim