My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, December 28, 2009

I have some catching up to do

A few days have passed without a "normal" (ha, I love that idea!) posting so lest anyone decide to take poison because of it, I had better get caught up. The poison reference is from the movie, "Julie and Julia" when young Julie laments about not keeping up making the recipes and reporting it in her blog. Her spouse asks her what would happen if she missed a day or two of postings, "would people like take poison or something if you don't post one day?". When Justin and I saw the movie together in the theater, he gave me the elbow at this point because he knows how it goes for me when I miss a day! People want to know why, expect me to be dead or worse, sick, if I do not post! I do flatter myself!
*
We have watched a few movies since the Schippers arrived, besides "Julie and Julia", we saw "Pride and Prejudice" (yes, finally, Judy!!!) with Kiera Knightly in the lead role. I really liked it, too, and now might one day attempt to read the book again. It was Judy's suggestion to see a movie version first to make reading easier. Actually, for us simple-minded folk, watching the movie is by far better than reading! Even Dustin liked the movie which gives it high marks from someone in his age group. Lori brought a movie with her, "Life as a House" which seemed to have a good story line but I could not get passed the language. We have also enjoyed episode upon episode of "Seinfeld" which I especially find fun because when David laughs, his legs fly up and he does a whole body heave of laughter! Love it!
*
We played a rousing game of "Catch Phrase" on CHRISTmas Day after our dinner guests had left. It was as much fun trying to remember who to hand the "hot potato" to as it was to answer the clues. Since we had an odd number of people, the game had to be handed crisss-cross at the table and no one could remember who got it next, all the while it is going tick tick tick faster and faster....imagine the laughter! Again, David is such a delight to play games with, coming up with clues that make absolutely no sense, but somehow work. Great times!
*
The Schippers went to church with me, once they arrived midmorning on Thursday, for the children's service at 7:00 pm. Some of my friends had not heard they were coming early and were surprised to see them with me at church, where they were warmly welcomed. Justin went to Victory for their service, taking his father and his father's girlfriend with him, and then went back to his father's house to open their presents. Afterwards, Justin came back home and attended worship with me at the candlelight service, while the Schippers stayed here to lay low. Obviously they were pooped from the long car ride.
*
CHRISTmas morning we went to church, with Lori getting ready in less than 5 minutes, doing her make-up in the car. David drove Dusty over in their car because Dusty could not be ready to leave when I had to. Later David reported that he had to iron a shirt for his son, and managed to find the ironing equipment in my laundry room with little effort. They do not teach basic ironing at UW-Eau Claire evidently! Our service was primarily lessons and carols which I really enjoy, and The Maestro sang as well. We came back here afterward and I eased into making the feast which was planned for service at 4:00 pm. Rick called to report they could not make it as Mem was running a high fever so that was three less from the table. Of course, I was sad but what can you do? A bit later, after the table had been set, Olivia called to report that both her folks were coming with her so that meant two more at the table! Yippee! Joanne had called in between Rick and Olivia to say she was bringing her dad along so we were still going to have overflow at the table. Again, yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*
The menu was honey baked ham and sweet potato souffle (store bought), turkey, mashed potatoes, red garlic potatoes, gravy, scalloped corn souffle, green beans with bacon and mushrooms (yum!), carrots and cauliflower, cranberries, cinnamon applesauce Jello, pickles and olives, rolls, plus dressing brought by Joanne. Whew! I made all the foods listed except as noted. I made much of the food ahead of time, if possible, and simply reheated in the oven or microwave oven, before meal time. The ham bone and some of its meat will make a great kettle of soup one day!
*
At one point I made some sausages and scrambled eggs with cheese curds melted in them, even taking time to sit down to have a couple sausages with the family. Lori had brought some breads with her, gifts from friends, which I added to the blueberry bread I had made, so there was plenty to eat. One morning I made Pillsbury rolls, hockey pucks, if you ask me. If not eaten immediately they seem to dry out quickly. I might make hot breakfast today again but my guests sleep a bit later than do I, except David, so it is hard to really plan for them. We are having Clark's for supper tonight at Lori's request, with Koko's tomorrow for lunch. Justin is working so might not see him today or tonight. Last night all but me went to see "Avatar" after Alayna arrived but knowing that movie was likely not for me, I stayed home to work on the newsletter.
*
We opened our presents once Alayna got to my house, as the gang were planning to see the movie at 7:00 pm. (It seems when one makes the comment, "You can see "Avatar" when the family is here in Florida was taken quite literally!) which made me chuckle. Even at this age, kids take you at your word! Funny they even stopped at home with her first! Lori and David went too plus Justin's friend, Jesse.
*
Back to the presents: I got a lovely, gaily colored ceramic plate from Lori with a coordinating 'postcard' top. Can't wait to display the plate and wear the top! Love it! Justin gave me some wonderful fine tip pens, my favorite, two boxes of dark chocolate (i.e. healthy) covered cherries, a calendar with photos from Greece on it, and a promissory photo of a cover he is getting made for my laptop, a scene of Santorini that will be custom-fit for it. Justin liked his clothes, although one of the dress shirts did not fit quite right and will be exchanged; the Vince Flynn books, the belt and socks, dress pants, his new sheets he asked for, and the pillows that Lori and David gave him. After seeing his room at the suites, I had no idea where he will put yet another piece of clothing! Since he lost weight, he has much that will not fit and needs to be weeded out, donated to the Clothes Closet. I think he needs his mama's help for this! I already mentioned the neat cut-out of Maurice Jones-Drew that David gave me, and it presently stands alongside my desk. The back is a mirror so David said I can use that to see if I have stuff in my teeth.....He is just a hoot!
*
We gave Alayna a game called "Would You Rather?" which I bet we will play here before she leaves and her mom got her a sweater vest with matching scarf in yellow and burnt orange plus a T-shirt in almost the same yellow as the stripes. I had gotten Dusty a game but found out he already had this one, so yesterday Lori and I went to Kohl's where she directed me to a nice shirt which came with a slim black necktie, very collegiate-looking and youthful. He mentioned that he should have a tie, so his prayers were answered! We gave Lori a lovely bowl, centerpiece-sized, made to look like interwoven twigs and a pair of pretty garden gloves. David liked his GA rub plus the gift certificate for a car wash, which we anticipated he would need. Last time they came for the holidays, he needed to find a car wash badly to remove all the road salt and snow stains from the car, so now, it is already paid for!
*
Anyway, the presents are opened, the long-awaited movie seen, and some plans made for the week. Thankfully I have my movie basket to choose for viewing as well as the "Seinfeld" collection for when we have down time. David plays his guitar and tracks his on-line auctions of products from his company, for fun. Dusty brought along his game system to play into the wee hours of the morning and Lori enjoys reading. We can all keep busy without being busy it seems and mesh well together. Alayna will enjoy her time with Dusty and the rest of us, once she is caught up on her rest. Tuesday we will be having lunch at Koko's with Justin, as he is off tomorrow, and then that night we will go see the lights in St. Augustine. Justin told us they already saw "Dominic, the Donkey" as they drove to the airport yesterday, as he rode in a sitting position in the back of a truck! We love to hear that goofy song play as the tram rides through the streets of St. Augustine, showing us the lights! "Hee haw, hee haw, it's Dominic the Donkey...."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!

Lori asked to go to that "fetid swamp"??????

I enjoyed seeing the "boys" too---they all have changed.

It took me long time to read all your blogs so now I have to go and get warm again.

Love to everyone......I envy the St.Augustine trip.

Love,

Mom

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Mom!

Lori specifically asked to go there but said, "As long as I don't have to sit in that fetid swamp!" It is way too cold, in my opinion, to even consider sitting outside and it certainly would not be fetid right now!

Yes, the boys have grown up. David is in the Navy, stationed at Mayport. All the others are college boys yet.

Please keep warm and we will, too!

Love back to you!

Kim