My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Short but sweet

My eyes are watering, in part from the head cold and in part from the powerful concoction that Jessica mixed up for me to knock the cold loose. It is something with lemon and whiskey, which my mom described as a hot toddy. Jessica knocked on my door and left it outside in the courtyard to avoid my germs. At church I told them I have to shout "leper!" before I walk up to anyone so they know I am germy. This hot drink is making my head spin around and my pores sweat, so it must be working on something inside my body. She told me it would make me tired so I am staying close to my bed.
*
This morning I had to place a wake-up call to Justin, at his request, and we met at church, Victory, for the 9:00 a.m. service. I was asked to sing with the choir but declined for several reasons, not the least of which is my cold. Anne's parents were there and she is always so glad to see me, and asks about my mom. Love that! There was a decent number of folks there for the early service, only about the third time they are having it, and got to see the rest when we were dismissed. Today one of the hymns was "Oh, For a Faith That Will Not Shrink", which was sung at Timmy's funeral, chosen by me. And I sang it as best I could, up to the stanza "A faith that keeps the narrow way 'til life’s last hour is fled, And with a pure and heavenly ray l
ights up a dying bed." Justin extended his elbow for me to take hold of his arm....
*
Suzanne and family were there, too, as John had to size up an electrical repair for someone in Pastor's neighborhood. That was so nice, under better circumstances than the funeral service, for sure. After the service, Justin and I headed to the Mall to have breakfast at the Original Pancake House, but when he got there ahead of me, said they were too packed. Instead we went to Panera and had lunch rather than breakfast. Chicken noodle soup in a bread bowl for me, and broccoli cheese in a bread bowl for Justin. And we dined el fresco, with him thinking ahead and bringing a jacket for me. What a good boy! We both enjoyed our soup and our conversation. We could have sat longer but I needed to be over at GS in time for a post-service meeting so we parted company. He was going home to rest as he worked almost 13 hours yesterday and extremely weary in his bones and feet.
*
When I got to church, Holy Communion was still taking place so I was able to take attendance after all. Since the greeters were not there, I stood at the door and greeted, and many were surprised to see me there. I told them I had been to church already but came back for the meeting, which ended up being three members and Pastor. Brian, Jean, me, and a visitor who had come last week on his bike, were given the orientation for next week's experimental "Liturgical Worship with Greater Variety" so I guess those who needed to be there were there. Or not. Next Sunday we will have a 9:00 a.m. service with the experimental service and then at 10:30, the regular service. Now, whether I will do one or both remains to be seen but I certainly want to be there for the 'experimental' one, to see what it is all about.
*
When we were leaving church at Victory, I asked Pastor if we were having Bible study on Thursday since it was not on the schedule. He assured me we were so Justin and I said we would see them then. Later, Judy A. called to tell me there was no class after all, but Pastor forgot about it. Two of the folks are on vacation in WI, and three of the ladies are going to the Southern Women's Show so no class. Pastor H. said, "Oh, I will have to call Kim..." but Judy offered to do it instead, whew! Justin called me after the Packer game (sadly, they lost again in overtime) and I told him about not having class. We might do something together that day, we shall see. Mike K. is coming a day later than planned to start the project here which is fine as I have Bible study tomorrow. But, for now, sleep! God night!

No comments: