My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Well, I have done it now!

Fished the box out from under the vanity and removed the last effects of the summer sun and fun from my hair, as well as the old age which had set in. It's over, that is it. No more splashing in the pool, bobbing about like a cork in the water, basking in the sun, dining el fresco from the cabana (at least in the day time...) for 2010. Many folks liked the sunlights, the highlights, that had grown in over the summer, including Justin, but I felt as though the white in the front on one side looked a bit washed out now that the tan is faded. Fading going on all over my head! But not anymore....
*
My breakfast, nearly lunch, was a slice of pumpkin pie which I picked up at Publix yesterday when I went to buy some bread and a chicken. The original plan was to buy a chicken for making soup but then decided to buy a small ham to bake instead, trying to replicate the delicious sandwiches from the funeral luncheon. Not physically healing like chicken soup is said to be, but truly yummy, I hope. I should probably get that baking, Ed said Judy put brown sugar and something else over hers to make it so good. Fortunately there is still some Diet 7-Up to pour over it, plus some apple juice out of which to make a gravy.
*
As I was lying in bed this a.m. I was thinking about making my German potato salad for the Reformation dinner at Victory on October 31st. The recipe calls for bacon and its fat, vinegar, sugar, and a couple other things, which means I must go shopping yet again. And oh yes, potatoes would be good, too. I wonder if there will be leftovers from the funeral to be served at the dinner, like the ham???? That girl is obsessed over the ham!
*
This a.m. when I worked on my hair, I took all the usual precautions including pinning an already yukky towel around my shoulders, applied the baby oil to my face and ears, and mixed up my concoction. Once applied to my hair, the remainder was carefully placed back in the box with the latex gloves over the top so nothing would spill. I picked up the box to put in the trash and the bottom came out, landing on the tile floor. Yikes!! Quickly I grabbed it up and used the yukky towel to wipe up the floor. There I was, trying to be so careful, and the bottom came out! Why does the silver remover appear to be dark purple? What will the hair look like?? No worries, though, the mess cleaned up completely and the hair not purple at all.
*
Last night instead of going to the cabana as planned, a small group of us gathered on the smoke-free deck behind the River House. Sadly, to access the deck, one must walk through that wretched place, but believe me, I checked to see if the gate was unlocked to avoid the other walk. Nuts! One lady in the group, Sharon, the very interesting lady I mentioned from last Sunday night, came with us, saying she had not been to this place in 15 years. One of the other ladies commented that the people camped around the bar are the same ones that were there 15 years ago! Funny, yet sad at the same time.
*
Sharon had thought we were meeting at the cabana so had ordered her meal already, but I did not have the foresight to do that. She took hers home as she lives right next door the River House and planned to eat it later. I was glad I took a jacket along because it was cold out there, not only was I cold, but the others as well. It was nice but somehow the smoke from the bar area made its way out to where we were seated and annoyed some of those in the group. What can you do? They were outside where they were supposed to be for smoking. Oh, they can smoke inside as well as no food is served here.
*
Penny was concerned that my cold would be aggravated by the weather out there and I cannot say if that is so or not. I believe it must run its course regardless of the weather or the chicken soup. Penny used 'my Turkish friends' to move her on Wednesday, and wants me to come over to her new place next week to see it. Maureen is expected to go over and hang her artwork for her, she is everyone's go-to girl for home decorating. Hugh and Maureen's house looks like a magazine, thanks to her skills. My place would make her head spin, being less sedate than is hers. Penny needs to come up here some time, perhaps once the cabana is closed...boo hoo hoo!

No comments: