My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

"Write what you know"

In watching a movie tonight on TV, one I have seen multiple times in the past and actually have in my collection, it occurred to me that the playwright, or screen writer, as the case might be, may have done that with this movie. In "Something's Gotta Give", a playwright, Erica, has an unexpected love affair with her daughter's gentleman friend, twice the daughter's age. 'Marin' has moved on, leaving Harry at her mom's beach home to recuperate from a heart attack. The two older folks hit it off but then Erica has her heart broken by the playboy, Harry, when he recovers. Erica, in mourning, proceeds to write the whole story into her play, which then becomes a smashing success on Broadway. So, here's my question: Did this happen to the person who wrote the screenplay for this movie in order for it to translate so perfectly to the big screen? Wow!!, if it did! When talking with young Timothy at Victory the other night, I tried explaining how I can write about something every day as I do, writing what I know. But, it seems I do not know the origin of the screenplay for the movie about a playwriter! Huh....go figure!

*

In a totally unrelated event, my upstairs neighbor, Rosemary, with whom Justin and I shared ThanksLiving dinner, called to ask if I had any rosemary she could borrow. What? As it turned out, I did, indeed, have a jar of rosemary in the cupboard, and have absolutely no idea how old it would be. I expect it would predate 2003 since I was separated that year and would not have had any need at all to buy rosemary thereafter. She invited me to her place for dinner, steaks on the barbie, but I graciously declined her invitation, having made a box of mac 'n cheese for my dinner. My tastes are rather simple and do not require seasonings! Rosemary can keep the rosemary....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
You crack me up! Reading you blog is the best way to start my day! Hope you have a great day, I am going to rest up after my busy weekend. Everyone is gone and the house is quiet again. We sure had fun, but I am exhausted!

Love and hugs
Linda J

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Linda J.!

Glad I could make you chuckle first thing this a.m. My sleeping is all messed up, as I fell asleep during the movie and woke up long enough to write something before going back to sleep! The movie repeated itself so I did not miss much.

Jill mentioned yesterday that it was so sad how shop-worn (my words) our family is. We have aches and pains, and now Kerry is once more suffering with her back/leg pain. At this writing she is waiting for Larry to wake up to take her to the ER. He wouldn't go until it was light out...Anyway, the exhaustion comes so much sooner these days, it seems.

I will write more later, having to rest up for my day today!

Love you!

Kimmie