My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, April 26, 2014

More wedding preparations

This might a bit misleading but it sure feels more like getting ready for a wedding than for a Mother-Daughter event at my church. The theme this year is Weddings, and the ladies are bringing their wedding dresses/gowns and other treasures to church to match up dresses and models, etc. Not many, if any, can wear their own gowns, but some can wear other people's gowns! In one case, a mom is wearing her daughter's gown...

Justin and his friend, Jesse, had plans to go eat endless wings at Golden Corral for lunch, and he wanted to borrow my car to do this. He took me to church and then swung by to pick up his friend. I got there at the right time, able to help Jayne carry in some stuff from her car, china and other serving dishes, and baby food jars. What?

The group gathered in the back classroom where all the dresses and such were being stored, mine being one of the first items dropped off, since I was there on Monday. Laurie brought not only her wedding album but several from her grandparent's 50th anniversary party which I had attended. I think most of the congregation was there, in fact. The year that event took place evades me but in the photos, Cliff is still carrying Robbie. Perhaps the very late 80's or early 90's?? The albums show group shots of the tables where I could see people who have left us for heaven or for other reasons. Probably a good thing I took this sneak peek and got it out of my system before next week!

Half of the committee working on this event consists of teachers and they have the best ideas for everything. The baby food jars were for presenting each attendee some 'scrub' to take home---their parting gift! I offered to help but had no idea what I was getting into. Laurie and Jayne mixed up their concoctions which looked vile, and poured them into the jars. Some were mixed with coffee grounds, oil, sugar, extract, but not all in the same jar. When I asked what it was, Tamara told me it was scrub. What in the world is that? I figured it was recipe ingredients (like cookie ingredients in a jar) but nope, it's for cleansing skin! 

We had four different labels for the jars, which was my job to affix to the lids, and then Jean and I started out the job of taping a little wooden paddle, like for eating ice cream from a Dixie cups, to each jar. Then, we had to cut ribbon to tie around the neck of the jar. Terri T. came in a bit late with some little silver 'rings' so we untied our finished jars and added a ring to those jars as well. Both Terri and I agreed that the scrub is a lovely idea but no way can we reach our feet! I told the ladies I would pour it on the floor on my shower and rub around on it that way. I heard lots of "Oh, Kimmer!!"  I guess I need a servant to scrub my feet for me!
My 'honorary' daughter, Laurie, and my friend, Judy C. at 2013's Mother/Daughter event.

Tina N. came in with her dress in a giant box. As she lifted off the cover, the gown almost pushing the lid off, it exploded in white fluff. I have never seen a gown like that in real life. Absolutely gorgeous, so much so that I cannot successfully describe it, other than to compare it to the one in "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding". The dress alone was remarkable, but in the box was more yet---the mesh skirt portion that made it poof out. Like a Cinderella dress! I hope the ladies can find someone to model that one because I fear the hanger alone would not do it justice. It is wow!

Lynn K., our pastor's wife, on the committe, was able to fit into three of the dresses people had brought in. That means three wardrobe changes for her alone. I have a young lady in mind to wear my dress but she won't be available to try it on until tomorrow. Her mom can't make it for the event, so if Meghan can wear the dress, she will be my honorary daughter for the day. Our last Mother/Daughter event had Laurie as my honorary daughter, so I am cool with this!

No comments: