My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, March 13, 2017

Deeply sad news

Last night before I was ready to drop off to sleep, my phone went off. It was Jean from church, calling me to report some terrible news. A long time friend of the family, church and school ties, had died earlier that day. Twila's grandson, Mark, same age as Justin, had problems with drugs. At this time it is unsure what caused his death but likely it was life-style related. Jean said that Twila didn't want this news publicized yet, but felt she just had to talk, and I was glad to be here for her. 
Mark, Robbie, David, and Justin 2009

Mark went to live with his grandparents when he was about 9 years old, after his mom died. Mark's parents were divorced and the dad was not equipped to care for him so the grandparents took over. Twila talked to me about sending Mark to St. Johns, and since 3rd grade Mark and Justin were in school together, graduating in 2006. Church and school friends, and neighborhood friends as well. The boys were confirmed in faith together in 2002, with their friend, Robbie. 

After Jean called me, I went to see if Justin was still awake, but he was not. Apparently the news got out other ways because before I went to sleep, folks were reaching out to me, asking me for information, etc. I let Robbie know this a.m. on a private message, and I let Justin know last night in the same fashion, fearing he'd see it on Facebook first. So far I haven't heard from him about this, he will have all day to process it, as will I. 

I have so many memories of experiences with Mark including mischief the boys got into at our homes, shared meals when the boys were in confirmation classes,  carpooling to school, birthday parties, church events...Oh my! Twila and I were raising boys the same age, though she is about 20 years older than me. My heart is so heavy with all this, breaking for Twila. When Timmy died Twila was at my house the next morning to be with us. I wish I could do the same but she has asked for no phone calls or visits just yet. I will respect that, but only to a point. 

Jean, Twila's sister-in-law, suggested I share this news with those at Bible study this a.m. So far I have not been asked to place them on the Prayer Chain but I am ready when the family is. Such a sad ending to this young man. On the same day my son was voted onto the church Council, Twila's grandson died. It's just so hard to process. May the Lord comfort Twila on these most sad days...

No comments: