My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, April 3, 2017

Looking at relationships

There is a scene in one of Justin's and my favorite movies, "Julie and Julia", where Julie has a sad lunch with her friends and comes to the realization about who or what they really are---terrible people! At least, that's the way they come across in the restaurant scene, totally self-absorbed and full of themselves. Simple Julie meets another friend later on and asks her the rhetorical question, "What does it means if we don't like our friends?" Quite telling. Are they truly friends or just people we know? 

I've had some recent experiences and communications which proved troubling, leaving me feeling sad and unsettled. What's going on with people? Why so touchy? Are our relationships so valueless and unimportant that they can be disposed of without any sense of loss? I hate to even think how close I've come to figuratively giving a pop on the snoot and say, "Knock it off!" The question is for how long does a person tolerate being poorly treated or spoken to before severing ties? When it's one's own family acting poorly toward the others in the relation, that is a tough situation. From the outside, it is easy to make suggestions on how to make the repairs to the relationship. The more people involved, the more complicated it becomes. It all gives me a headache, and sometimes, a heartache. Deep and abiding sadness, messing with my joy. Hate it, just hate it, for all of us. 

No comments: