My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"My face hurts from smiling!"

These were Linda's words as we left the Symphony hall. It was a wonderful show, "Love, Romance, and Big Band" featuring a singer named Lynn Roberts, who performed with many of the bands back in the day. Wow!, could she ever sing!
*****
After watching Blazing Saddles, we had to switch gears, put on our symphony pants, and head downtown for dinner and the symphony. Our dinner at Juliette's was lovely and the service exquisite. We had some time before the concert so sat in the lobby of the Omni for a bit before heading over. Oops! I went out the wrong door and we ended up pointed in a different direction than the Times-Union Center. A nice guide on the street got us "on the right track" toward the hall, but I hated adding extra steps to Linda's poor knee. I guess we'd have had the same number of steps inside the hotel but still.......it was a pleasant evening and no rush to get there.
*****
From our seats in Box 2, we had a perfect view of the orchestra, conductor, and performer. It was awesome. When I'd called Linda to ask about going to the symphony, she told me it would be wonderful, especially since she was listening to Big Band music as we spoke. Again, perfect! It was a real toe-tapping show, and Linda was just blown away by the experience, telling me at intermission that she couldn't stop smiling. Now, I was the one blown away!
*****
In 2006, Paul and Emily used my tickets for the Oktoberfest symphony program. They so enjoyed the night out, the concert and performers. The next day at church, Paul thanked me up and down for the treat, telling me that "Emily didn't stop smiling all evening". That is a wonderful thing to hear and I got to hear it twice!!!!
*****
On this "note" the official Linda J. Day came to a close. We made it home before 11:00 so put our feet up and watched the end of a weird movie called "Powder". I wonder if I'd like to see the whole thing to make some sense from it, or if I've seen enough.....only I can answer that. Of course, if you read further down this blog, or up, as the case might be, you'll see that Sunday with Linda was spent at church, lunch with Judy J., home, and then off to the movies and dinner with Justin and Martie.
*****
To sum up the Church Secretary's Union Meeting weekend, I'll use Linda's words to me, expressed in the movie theater after seeing 'The Bucket List': (paraphrasing now) "I don't have to search for joy in my life--it's sitting right here next to me..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow you sure do stay busy! i am glad for that. I get tired just reading all the things you do. Could also be the fact that I didn't get alot of sleep either. More snow for us. I decided at work today I have the winter blues. For such a short month February is getting to be very long.