My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Is the moon ever going to show itself?

Lynn and I are home Saturday night, laying low for a change. We went to Victory for worship only to be met at the door by a handsome man in a tuxedo! Earlier Lynn had asked if what she had on was okay for church and I told her it was because Saturday's worship is more relaxed than is Sunday worship. So much for the relaxed atmosphere, being met by Pastor in a tux!
*
It turned out they (Pastor and wife, Anne, had her work party tonight) as did Bonnie and her hubby, the same party. Bonnie's hubby is Anne's boss, but Anne's hubby is Bonnie's boss----cool!! If Victory doesn't have enough people (10) for a worship service, Pastor conducts the group as a small Bible study using the readings from the service folder, and the opening portion of the liturgy. It's a service, but isn't. Which is what we had tonight with 8 of us, including the pastor. There were 2 men there, visitors, not like Lynn and me, who are in town for the Packer/Jaguar game tomorrow. One man, the dad, was here from Minoqua, WI, visiting his son who is a pharmacist in Lakeland, FL, whose wife is from here. It was nice to meet them and share this worship/Bible time. Bonnie played the piano and we sang "Prepare the Royal Highway" which is in the Supplement, copied into the service folder. Lynn and I were familiar with the hymn, as our congregations sing it every Sunday in Advent.
*
Justin left us at Victory, heading home to wait for Jesse to get back from Tallahassee after attending his friend's college graduation. Justin was concerned his friend wouldn't make it in time for them to get to their show at the Coliseum. I hope he does because Justin would be so upset if they didn't get to see Jeff Dunham. Not sure whether he'd go without Jesse or not, I would, but Justin may not be as comfortable going alone. I haven't heard otherwise so will assume they found each other and are about to enjoy the show.
*
Lynn and I drove home along the river hoping to see the moon rising but nothing so far. We are afraid it might be too cloudy tonight but perhaps shortly we'll spot it out there. I made a batch of bean soup using a ham bone but when we got home after church, it wasn't soup yet. The beans were still hard, not cooked enough, probably not hard enough in a rolling boil. We opted to have ham sandwiches instead on this goofy whole grain bread I bought at Walmart yesterday, and it was just delicious! Surprise, surprise!
*
This afternoon we went to the movies, opting to pay the extra $3.00 for the IMAX theater. I wish I hadn't but Lynn suffered no ill effects for being in the big screen room. We could have gone up higher in the rows but we were already on the second level, thinking it was far enough away. I ordered nachos for during the movie and Lynn got pop corn, which we gobbled up prior to the movie beginning, since we arrived quite early. The movie itself, well, it was okay. Yesterday's older version had a better plot but older setting. The movie today had the underlying theme that Earthlings are killing the planet, and it's not theirs (ours) to start with, so the aliens are coming to reclaim the universe's territory....Wall-E revisited! Only this time 'not' animated characters, but the 'other' type----partly live action, partly computer-generated. Like I said, it was okay, but it did leave me a bit nauseous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning! We are going to late church so that is why I am writing this early. I am feeling a bit poorly. Have a feeling I am getting the cold Dan had. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy the movie. Sometimes it is better that they don't remake some movies. I have never been to an IMAX so I don't know what that is like. I think I am going to take a nice hot bath and see if that helps. Have fun or hope you had fun at the game. GO PACKERS!!!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

I'm sorry you don't feel well, hopefully you are back to normal by now. I should have known better than to sit so closely but really it's okay, I'm over it.

We had a good time at the game, great time! Too bad the Packers lost but the Jags really needed to win one this year....

Hugs,

Kim