My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, February 9, 2009

A tragic loss of life

If you recall, I wrote the other night about my nephew, Tommy, taking his own life in late January. He just turned 34 at the end of October, much too young to die. His mom died of cancer on CHRISTmas Eve 2002 and he pretty much lost touch with his family since then. I had his e-mail address and would write every now and again just to check in. When his grandma died in August of 2007 he had not checked his e-mail for a while and totally missed getting the message. From that time on he gave me his cell phone number and he already had mine, so we could keep in touch.
*
He did that during the summer when he called me to get a recipe. Yes, you read that correctly---he wanted a recipe from me!!!! He was hungry for a family favorite called "Hamburger Corn Pone Pie" and amazingly so, I laid my hands on it immediately for him. He filled me in, joyously, on the new lady in his life and her children. Tommy had big plans for putting in landscaping around their shared home, and I was looking up the plants he was talking about as we spoke, so I did not sound toooooo uniformed. He was just like his mother, talking endlessly about little of substance for over an hour. I did manage to throw a caution about jumping into anything, etc. with his "fiance" but did encourage him as far as settling down and such. He seemed to be on top of the world, at that time.
*
On CHRISTmas Day he sent me a late night text message wishing me a Merry CHRISTmas and told me how much he liked the new bench grinder his fiance, Jeanna, had given him. Around ThanksLiving or so, Tommy asked me to text him my mailing address so he could send a CHRISTmas card so I got his address too, while I was at it. I shared it with Mona in case Arno wished to send a card for CHRISTmas, but I don't know if that happened or not.
*
Judy and Tommy Connors from many years ago..........
Justin got the mailing address for Tommy's father who lives in the Detroit area so I can mail him a card. But, what do I say in it?? I can offer sympathy to EJ but he barely knew his son anymore. When last I spoke with EJ, he did not offer any acknowledgement that he was a believer in His Savior, and in fact, had objected to Judy attending worship when they were still married. Judy and EJ were divorced awhile before Judy got sick. What a mess!
*
Family has been good about keeping me up to speed on the funeral arrangements and such, plus Justin has an "inside line" to what is going on. Justin indicated that Judy's ashes are going to be buried with Tommy's, which is appropriate. He had kept her ashes with him and had told me he was coming to see me, to spread his mom's ashes in the ocean, which is what she wanted done with them. Tommy never came.

10 comments:

Dave Schipper said...

There will always be sad in our lives; good thing there is the hope of resurrection to keep a smile on our face.

David

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

I was just thinking about your question about what to send to the father. I made up my mind a long time ago to express my beliefs and thoughts when I send out a sympathy card or Christmas card. To me it's a chance to witness during a rough time for those suffering the loss.
You may be the only chance to plant a seed of faith in him, so I say be yourself and let HIS light shine through you!

Diane

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi David!

You and I have the promise and hope of resurrection but am not so sure that Tommy will be there with us in heaven. He was not churched and never expressed belief in Jesus. Maybe my "religious" CHRISTmas card and newsletter got through?????

Thanks for commenting,

Love,

Kim

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Dee Dee,

You are absolutely correct, and that is exactly what my plan is. Now, when he needs it most, "let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Thanks for commenting and for your encouragement!

Hugs,

Kim

kathy b said...

I am so sorry about Tommy. It's always appropriate to share the Lord from our own personal experiences . . . cause it's our story within His story. Love you and miss you!!

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Kathy!

I miss you, too, and love you! Am going up to Great Hang Ups this afternoon to see my friends so will send your greetings to Dee, if that is okay. I will ply her for information about you.............nah, just teasing!

Of course, it is always appropriate to share my story, which EJ knows about, but to offer comfort where there is probably none to be had----that is the tough part. Ouch!

Hey, we are going to Cracker Barrel for supper---wanna come???

Kim

kathy b said...

Thanks for the invite but I'm meeting Kelly at the nursing home, then we'll grab a bite. I'll have to update you about my Mom . . . we've been advised that it's not too early to get hospice involved
:(. What about dinner Thursday?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
I just caught up on all your blogs, and I had to get a towel. We sure had a great time! It doesn't take much to get us going! I told all at church this morning about the movie, they all wanted to know if it really was in New Ulm. I said we thought it was filmed in Winnipeg. I will have to research that. It was great to see all my Florida friends again. What a great bunch of ladies!!! Thanks again for a great time. I am hooked on Seinfeld, will have to watch it once in a while.

Love and hugs!!
Linda (I'm a scrapper)

Anonymous said...

Ah, I see that is my old classmate, Judy Day.... it was her Tommy.... Oh, I am indeed sorry. Remember, there is no sadness in Heaven... so if your greatest fears are real... she will not be sad. Cling to hope and joy!
Judy

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Judy!

Yes, you are right, it is your classmate's son who killed himself. The joy of no tears in heaven, the bliss beyond compare......Such great comfort for those of us left behind!

Hugs,

Kimmie Cakes