My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Monday, March 9, 2009

I like cauliflower!

Okay, get up off the floor, it is not such a shock! Since my appetite is a bit challenged today, my search through the fridge brought nothing of interest except for the leftover cauliflower from Thursday's dinner. My dish of corned beef, cabbage and carrots was scooped into a zip lock bag (I want to shake the hand of the person who invented them!) and is in the freezer. Justin will not turn down anything, because, even if he does not eat something, one of his friends might! This dish, though, is one of his favorite that I make so my guess is he will eat it himself or at least share.
*
Last night Joanne went through and purged the fridge of things which were no longer recognizable or good so it is nice and bare again. Justin has money to pick up a 24-pack of soda for me at Publix because they are having a sale. I hope he remembers to grab it on his way over here....Tonight there is a ladies' group meeting, our make-up meeting from last week, and I hope we have a good turnout. Before leaving this a.m. I sent out a reminder notice and hopefully those at Bible study discussed it as well. Strangely enough I would just as soon stay home and reflect some but it is probably best to go off and hang with my buds instead.
*
While I was waiting at the Court house on a bench in the hallway, people kept walking up and down the hall, marked "Quiet Zone" but the shoes, both men's and women's, made such racket on the floor, oh my! At one point at the far end of the hall, I heard a door open and a young lady threw herself onto a bench and sobbed her heart out. It took all of me not to go down there to see what was the problem but I kept my seat. Before too long another couple people came out and there were more tears as they spoke with a man who I think is the attorney. From what I gathered, some one was sentenced, possibly a shooting incident, and the family of the shooter was upset. I am glad to not have gone down there to offer consolation, not knowing the entire story. And yes, I know, it was not my business. But seeing and hearing the upset really helps to put things into perspective.
*
At church yesterday one of the ladies who regularly substitute taught in the government schools received a phone call from the schools where she worked to inform her that her services were no longer required. Over 400 teachers were "surplussed" last week which resulted in a protest rally over the weekend to bring attention to the problem. Picketers were at Blanding and Kingsley, a high visibility site. Evidently, the plan is when a teacher is out sick or for another reason, the kids from that class are put into another teacher's classroom instead of having a sub. Imagine that! Other teachers I know of are sweating, waiting for the other shoe to fall, at risk of losing their jobs. Stinks!
*
It is a gorgeous day today weather-wise, in the 80's and sunshining. Suzanne reports smelling flowers and I observed blooming azaleas all along the streets. The water fowl are out and about but no sign of the lephechaun yet today. The camera is ready, in case I spot it bobbing on the water. I think I will take a nap now.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought you liked cauliflower. I too purge my fridge every Sunday so it can make it to the garbage for Monday pick up. I have good intentions to eat the leftovers but some get pushed to the back and then forgotten. At least now there is room for your soda. More yukky weather, Now we can get freezing rain tonight. Am starting to feel better. Still hurt probably from shoveling watered down snow last night.

Kim Lahaie Day said...

Hi Jill,

I did like cauliflower and broccoli. At Ruby Tuesday's, normally I order the mashed cauliflower as my side dish, usually too much to finish, though.

I should go wipe out the fridge, too, before it gets loaded up again. Sorry about the bad weather and the heavy snow. Is there any relief in sight??? Kerry sent me audio/video on Sunday night of the storm as it moved through Oshkosh. I trust she got to work okay...

Hugs,

Kim