My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's such a lovely day today!

I didn't mention this in previous postings but when we woke up on Saturday morning, it was quiet outside. This was in stark contrast to waking three days in row to the wind whipping the palms outside my windows and the roar of water crashing and splashing against the breakwater. It was quiet!! It was weird!!
*
Saturday opened with clearer skies and some sun light but it didn't stay. By the time my family was about to board their plane, it was thundering and raining here at the condo. Lisa texted me to report all was dry at the airport and they were able to leave Jacksonville safely.
*
Well, today began early, again with sunshine and clear skies, and a phone call. Justin wanted to let me know he was leaving home so I could gauge my getting ready for the day according to his drive time. He suggested I think about him being like Dominoes and he'd be here in 30 minutes or less! Funny boy! We were going over to the polls to vote for "ole Travis" and the rest on the list. My friend, Diane, was also running for an at-large seat on the Board of Commissioners. She handles some of my finances for me, and we've bonded with each other (go figure!!). Bonded, a little play on words there!!!! Don't put much stock in what I say.......we have a mutual admiration for each other.....enough with the investment puns already!!!
*
So, back to Justin and me voting....there were no lines at the polls, sad to say. We marched right in, got scanned, voted, and then off we went, sporting our "I Voted" stickers. I saw one of the Art Guild members there voting also and we are both looking forward to Guild starting again next month. At least I think so now!
*
Since he had time, before heading to the polls, I had Justin go around picking up toys and putting things away now that the boys are gone home. I was too lazy to do it yesterday and the house keepers were coming today. He disassembled the Rokenbok game and put it back in the box plus gathered the assorted cars, trucks, and Legos to store away in the bins for our next guests to play with. I hope Lucas is coming in the Spring before Lent. Oh, and Grace will be old enough to play with toys by then also. Lucas will be four years old in September, on the anniversary of Hurricane Jeanne----a day which shall live in infamy---for many reasons!!!
*
Justin and I had breakfast at Grumpy's, where I received a hug from Mike Taylor, who is running for Sheriff. Lynn and I had seen his contingent and him there on Wednesday morning before I took her for the facial. This must be his headquarters, and I teased him that he'd have his victory celebration at Grumpy's!!! He did invite us to join his party at HoJo but I said I was going to Travis's party at Holiday Inn. I was also invited to Diane's party for tonight at Honey Bee's but I'm committed to "ole Travis"!! He gave me a thank you present last week, a gift card for Carrabba's. It burned a hole in my pocket so used it on Friday night already!!!
*
Justin had to head back to his side of town because he has classes during the day on Tuesday and Thursday. I'm glad he took the time and gas to come back over here to vote--I'd have felt quite badly not having my kid vote for "ole Travis" after he'd told me about 6 times about Justin being able to vote early at the Tax Collector's office!
*
I am also glad Justin is enthusiastic about his classes this semester, because he didn't do so hot on his summer class. He got a C which is just barely what he needs to keep his "scholarship" money, what his father and I pay for him to be a student. Of course, I'd love to see much higher grades instead of just making the grade, but........
Perhaps we should have stipulated his maintaining a solid B to keep his "scholarship"......It's a good thing he loves his subject matter so much, covering Romanesque and other types of art and history.
*
The basin is active with boats and leaping fish this afternoon. The dredging folks have located the floating barriers much closer to my building, which makes me think they'll be coming this way soon. I do so enjoy watching the mullet leap for bugs, as they are much easier to see now that the river is smooth. It's difficult to remember how rough it was not even a week ago!
*
Earlier I'd mentioned being lazy yesterday after I posted my blog. I answered all my e-mails and other communications and then went to the family room with my lap top in tow. Justin showed me how to "search" for non-secured Internet, floating in the air around my building. I watched a couple "What Not to Wear" episodes and then chatted for a bit with Mona, my sister-in-law in WI. Arno was home from the hospital as of that afternoon and was resting comfortably. He's not yet fully regained his strength after this hopsital stay and a physical therapist will be coming to their house to help him get stronger. So, I am still on schedule to go up and help out while Mona and John are gone to see JR at West Point!
*
There were several splash and dash rain storms yesterday which prevented the roofing guys from working on the edge of the building. Understandably so. It did dry enough for us to gather on the shelf (sun deck) to enjoy happy hour and each other's company again. We had so many people, we ran out of chairs! I told Jack he was wise to bring his own (a wheelchair). The new neighbors, Ed and Karen, treated us to some delicious tea-flavored vodka made in South Carolina. Ed picked up a case on a recent trip there, to their home in Charleston. Wow, it was wonderful, served with fresh-squeezed lemonade over ice. Yummm! A couple of the folks bought bottles off Ed as we sat there. Some one is going to look around locally to see if it's available. I can see that going over very nicely at some of my social gatherings!!!!! Oh, yeah!

No comments: