My photo
No longer on the river and, again, an empty nester. Back to living on Fleming Island and making some more friends!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tropical Storm Fay

Here's a view of the river looking south from my river room. I am surprised they left the dredging machinery in the basin area, but removed the much larger barge from the area beyond the basin. You can see the wind whipping the palms furiously, and I can almost hear the sound they make when this happens.

This photo immediately made me think "here's the calm during the storm". Noah is enjoying his book, being able to read two and a half books during his vacation time in Florida. Just like on a cruise! Manny is just lying back on the sofa, watching the storm throw water at my new patio doors. I wish the doors would have been more resistant to water infiltration but this was not to be. I'll call Jack, my window guy and one of my fans, to see what he can tell me about this door situation.

Jack gave me a lovely black and white photograph his friend took of a cross on a mountain top in Switzerland. One day last year, Mom and I came home to find this wrapped present on my kitchen counter---a thank you from Jack. It got a bit wet when the water (during Fay)came down the walls from the unit above me. This picture hangs just behind my TV. The photo is fine, only the black paper on the back was wet.

"The sea was angry, my friends" but no golf balls or whales to be seen. This shot is looking down from my river room to the bulkhead below, as the waves are being tossed toward the patio doors of the first floor units. Gus, in one of the lower units, was out of town, so various neighbors kept an eye on things in his house, as well as checking on Mike, next door to Gus. Mike is in a motorized chair and all were concerned about him sitting alone down there. Especially without electricity to charge him up! He did fine, and in fact, became a bit annoyed that everyone kept asking him if he was okay......Is there such a thing as too much love? I think not!
You might possibly be able to see the streaks of water which are running down the wall where my TV usually stands. I'm glad it didn't short out my wiring and such which was behind there. Lisa put a metal cooking pan, also known as a kettle, to catch the drips. When the rain and leaking ceased, we moved everything back into place and I noticed my wall was rippled where water had gotten between the drywall and the paint. That's okay, it's not obvious, and hopefully mold won't be cultivated in there. The blue light which you see hanging there was purchased in Santorini, Greece, from Justin's and my friend, Jeanne, in 2006. It's blown glass, cobalt blue. When I saw it in the shop window, I looked at Justin and said, "That's for me!" Ta-da!!!

This view is looking north toward the Buckmann Bridge. It had to be closed during the height of the storm, not only because of the high winds but also because a sail boat, a sizable one, had broken loose at the marina and was banging against the sides of the bridge supports. Not good, for either the bridge or the boat! Since I don't normally hang off my porch railing, I hadn't noticed my new neighbors had placed a grille on their patio......I told Ed at the "Insteada Dinner" party on the 5th floor that I was going to be his new best friend! He said anytime I want to, I can cook on his grille. What a guy! He doesn't realize (yet) that I come with about 20 people!


This is the tree which stands just outside my patio doors. It's the tallest of all the palms near my windows and faired the best. The shorter two look quite squished down, as though giant birds tried to sit on them. The palms along the basin don't seem any worse for the wear either. I'd hate to lose the palm trees as they add so much to my view and enjoyment of the river. Thanks to all who remembered us in their prayers, asking God to watch over us "weathering" the storm.

Just look at how the waves are splashing over the breakwater! The river isn't at its high point here which is why the flat barrier rocks are still visible. During high tide, no rocks and no grass was showing which made for a creepy look. And now, it's as peaceful and calm as can be, as though nothing's happened. At least it's this way here.....other areas around Jacksonville are still using boats and/or waiting for their power to be restored. I am so blessed!!!







No comments: